Saturday, September 12, 2015

Film: The most unnecessary sequels

Residents of nursing homes and gay men crying into their pillows that there will never be a Golden Girl reunion were perhaps pining for the sequel to the Best Exotic Marigold Hotel called not so cleverly The Second Best Exotic Marigold Hotel.  But that's about it.  No one else cared.  And there was a moment as I was watching it that I wondered Why? This totally unnecessary sequel reminded me that I just thought the movie was decent but charming.  This one is not.  It is a total bore, I will admit that I was distracted  by shiny silver fox object Richard Gere appearing in this.  But even my childhood crush could not save this.....zzzzz.  Sorry I nodded off.  Please stop opening hotels for us, Maggie Smith!

I'll keep it short-4 out of 10.

But this film reminded me of 9 other completely unnecessary sequels I've seen.  Here they are in no particular order.

 The Hangover 2- because why wouldn't a group of men have a completely over the top chaotic night again? And then a third time (I didn't watch that one)?

Smokey and the Bandit 3- for some reason when I was a kid I saw this A LOT! But why does it exist? no Burt Reynolds! And no pre cry baby Sally Field! boo!

Sex and the City 2- because after everything was all tied up after the first movie, the NYC  besties would of course go to......Dubai?

Jaws 2 and 3D- wow that shark is really spiteful!

Home Alone 2-Lost in New York- I know that some people really like this, but while I can maybe forgive accidentally leaving your kid at home while you go on vacation once, if you lose him in NYC after that I'm calling Child protective services.

Caddyshack 2- movies without any of the original stars and low rent imitations of the original actors ALWAYS work.  At least they got another Kenny Loggins song.

Hannibal (sequel to Silence of the Lambs and NOT the great TV show) - not so much unnecessary as insulting.  Thomas Harris wrote a great female character for Silence of the Lambs then ruins Clarice Starling  in this one.

Grease 2- this one hurts because the nostalgic part of me loves it and the songs, but none of the original actors  were in it except the teachers and Frenchy, and most of the actors looked at least 30.  (I still love it though, cool riders!)

And Weekend at Bernies 2- How is his body not decomposing yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment