Friday, October 30, 2015

Two horrors and a heart

Since it is Halliween week, I decided to pick up some new horror movies.

Insidious 3 was one of the films and I need to be reminded when part 4 inevitably comes out that I really don't like this horror franchise.  The first one was pretty good. I didn't like the second one at all, and the third one is just slightly better than 2.  Insidious 3 adds nothing new to the series, but what it does have is more Lin Shaye who is really the best part of the whole series.   If they want to keep going they really need to make her the lead. She,is much more compelling that Dermot Mulroney who is considered the lead of this one.

Then I caught We are Still Here which on the surface doesn't add much to the whole haunted house genre. But a funny thing happened, and I can't get this one out of my head.   The story itself isn't so fresh, but it feels very real because the cast is made up of middle age normal looking actors who you could just as easily spot at the grocery store.  While it is not particularly original, it does deserve a watch for its realistic approach to the genre.


Then I had enough of average horror films, and I needed some heart. I found that with I'll See you in My Dreams.  It's hard to believe that Blythe Danner has never been a lead in a film, but she has definitely earned the chance and she is the best part of this movie.  The movie itself is charming, but has its problem plot points that I won't ruin.  I liked the scenes with her friends.  Danner's character is friends with characters played by June Squibb, Rhea Perlman, and Mary Kay Place, who should be the next incarnation of The Golden Girls.  It's also nice to see Sam Elliot who will still be sexy at any age as well.  I would definitely not be disappointed if Blythe Danner gets an Oscar nomination for this.  It's a lovely performance.

Insidious 3- 5 out of 10
We Are Still Here 6 out of 10
I'll See you in my Dreams 7 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment