Saturday, November 7, 2015

My Top 20 Showstopping Singalong Musicals

This  is not to be confused with my favorite musicals of all time.  For example Next to Normal would be high on that list, but it's not exactly a sing a long musical so it's not on this list.  To qualify the show had to have three or more strong sing a long songs.  Jukebox musicals like Mamma Mia and American Idiot and musicals based on musical movies like Beauty and the Beast and Grease were not eligible.

20.. Guys and Dolls
Three best singalong songs: Three best singalong songs: Sit Down You're Rockin the Boat, Adelaide's Lament, I've never been in love before.  

19. Sound of Music (perhaps one of the mst overrated musicals, but it does have some strong songs)
My Favorite Things, Climb Every Mountain, Edelweiss

18.  Hairspray 
Good Morning Baltimore, You Can't Soo the Beat, I Can Hear the Bells.  

17.  Annie
Tomorrow, It's a hard knock life and Maybe

16. Sunset Boulevard
As if we never said Goodbye, The Lady's Paying and With One Look

15.  My Fair Lady
I could've danced all night, On the street where you live, Wouldn't it be loverly.  

14.  Matilda
Naughty, When I grow up, My House

13.  The King and I
Something Wonderful, I Have Dreamed, I Whistle a Happy Tune.  

12.  Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Wig in a Box, Midnight Radio, and Wicked Little Town

11. Phantom of the Opera
The show itself I don't think too much of, but it has a lot of great songs.  AllI Ask if You, Music of the Night, Wishing You Were Somehow Here Again.  

The Top 10

10.  Avenue Q. 
There's a fine fine line, Everyone's a little bit racist, if you were gay

9.  Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street
A Little Priest, Not While I'm Around, By The Sea

8.  A Chorus Line
Nothing, At the Ballet, What I Did for Love

7.  Evita
This is where I start having a hard time choosing only three.  Another Suitcase in Another Hall, Don't Cry for me Argentina, Rainbow High

6.  Cabaret
Cabaret, Maybe this time, Willkommen

5.  Wicked
The top 5 get five songs each.  Popular, Defying Gravity, For Good, I'm not that girl, No one mourns the Wicked.

4.  West Side Story
Somewhere, America, A Boy Like That/I Have a Love, I feel Pretty, One Hand OneHeart.  Even choosing just 5 was hard.

3.  Into the Woods
No one is alone, Moments in the Woods, I know things now, Giants in the sky, Stay with me

2. Rent
La Vie Boheme, Light my Candle, I'll Cover You, Tango Maureen, What You Own

1. Les Misérables
The perfect musical except when Javert sings.   It gets ten songs!  I dreamed a dream, Master of the House, Do You Hear The People Sing, one Day More, On my own, A little fall of rain, Empty Chaurs at Empty Tables, bring Him Home, Fantine's Death: Come to Me, Valjean's Death: Finale













No comments:

Post a Comment