Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Tarantino 8

Last week I finally caught Quentin Tarantino's eighth film, The Hateful Eight.   I have to admit I procrastinated because of how long it was (almost three hours), but I was fortunate to catch it in all its 70 MM film glory.  On a side, it also had a ten minute intermission, and I think this is a good idea for any film approaching the two and a half hour mark.  

For me The Hateful Eight had all the amazing elements  that I would expect from a Tarantino film.   In this case, it has amazing cinematography, a  sparsely but effectively used score, a strong ensemble of actors, and a clever script.  There were time I sat there in awe thinking that Tarantino is a genius, and he is.  

I did have some qualms about this film though.  I think the film built toward this huge ending and I didn't think the end actually totally paid off (much like Kill Bill Volume 2).  But my biggest problem was its almost gratuitous language toward minorities and women.   I'm pretty tough skinned, and I get that in the Wild West of Wyoming they probably said the N word to refer to black  people and the rough guys probably beat  the crap out of women (Mexicans get it to a lesser degree in this film also), but do we need to see it in a film to the point that it feels like it's being hammered in our head. I'm also less concerned by Tarantino doing it in this movie than I was concerned about the reactions of glee from the audience.  I think artists should not be censored, but I also think that comes with consequences and a bit of responsibility.  

Aside from that, I was thoroughly entertained.  The movie was well cast.  I particularly enjoyed the performances of Samuel L Jackson (who really should have been a big part of the awards conversation this year), Walton Goggins, and especially Jennifer Jason Leigh.  It was nice to see an actor who has spent her career playing dark twisted characters (very well I'd add) getting a chance to have some fun with one of those characters.  

Ultimately, The Hateful Eight is mid level Tarantino , but it certainly makes for an interesting chapter to his collection.  

The Hateful Eight- 8 (wow) out of 10

And while I'm here,  this is how I'd rank his eight films. Note: I have not seen his Grindhouse film
8.   Inglourious Basterds
7.   Kill Bill Volume 2
6.  Jackie Brown
5.    Reservoir Dogs
4.   The Hateful Eight
3.  Django Unchained
2.  Kill Bill Volume 1
And 1.  Pulp Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment