Monday, May 2, 2016

The best, worst and non-winners of the Best Musical Tonys

In honor of the Tony nominations tomorrow.  May I present three lists? They pertain to musicals as I have not seen as many non musical plays.

While I've seen many musicals, I obviously haven't seen all of them.

The first is the Top 10 musicals to win Best Musicals ranked by how much I love them!
10.  Billy Elliot
 9.  Sunset Boulevard
 8.   Avenue Q
 7.  Evita
 6.  The King and I
 5.  Sweeney Todd Demon Barber of Fleet Street
 4.  A Chorus Line
 3.  Cabaret
 2.  Rent
 1. Les Misérables.


Second is an alphabetical order list of ten musicals that won Best Musicals that I'm not particularly fond of.  A few of them I hate, but most are kind of meh to me even if they have their merits.

Cats
Damn Yankees
Hello Dolly
In The Heights
Memphis
Once
Phantom of the Opera
Spring awakenings
The Sound of Music
Titanic

Finally, here is my ranked list of  the best musicals that did not win the Best musical Tony and what beat them.

10.   The Drowsy Chaperone (defeated by Jersey Boys)
  9.    Grey Gardens (defeated by Spring  Awakening)
  8.     Chicago (defeated by A Chorus Line)
  7.  Hedwig and the Angry Inch (not nominated.  When it was finally on Broadway it was nominated as a revival.  A little cheat on my part)
 6.  Ragtime (defeated by The Lion King)
 5.  Matilda (defeated by Kinky Boots)
 4.  Into the Woods (defeated by the Phantom of the Opera)
 3.  West Side Story (defeated by the Music Man)
2.   Wicked (defeated by Avenue Q)
1.  Next to Normal (defeated by Billy Elliot)






No comments:

Post a Comment