Sunday, January 15, 2017

One on One: My reflections of the life and music of George Michael

I liked George Michael from the first time I saw him.  In America it began with Wake Me Up Before You Go Go.  And aside from my coveting his Choose Life T Shirt, I found something instantly relatable about him. It wasn't a physical attraction as it was for other gay kids and teens of that time.  I was actually more attracted to his Wham collaboratorAndrew Ridgeley.    I think it was because for whatevever boldness and honesty he brought out in his lyrics that he always held us at a distance like he had a secret.  I think maybe it was his always sad eyes. This was relatable as a fearful gay kid growing up in Wyoming.  I always could look into George Michael's eyes in his video and know that there was something about him than was just like me-even if it was unspoken at the time.

When I drove home this last Christmas evening to hear that George Michael has passed away it was devastating but unfortunately not surprising.  For all of the obituaries praising him, I remember that it had not always been the case.  There were times where the world was very cruel to George Michael.  I had actually been surprised this tragedy hasn't happened sooner.  There are those in the world that always seem a little bit too sensitive for the cruelty of the world and George Michael despite his tough words in interviews he always seemed to be  a bit of a soft and kind soul.  The kind that the world often chews up and spits outs.

Almost 10 years ago I was lucky enough to see George Michael in concert in what would be his last tour of the United States.  The tour had been the tail end of all the problems he had with substance abuse and his arrest for public indecency.  He seems very vulnerable.  I frankLy  expected that the concert would not happen because his behavior had become somewhat erratic at the time.  Fortunately he did performer, and I was able to see this amazing performer live.  He did not disappoint.

As we left the show, I heard some concert goers who were obviously unfamiliar with  his music beyond the Wham! and Faith hits talking  about their disappointment that he didn't sing more of his Wham! output.  I really like a lot of  his later music so naturally I just rolled my eyes at them. George Michael always tried to live life and his career on his own terms despite the pressure to do other wise. I will definitely miss him.

Here are my choices for Twleve of George Michael's and Wham!'s best recordings in no particular order.

Everything She Wants Wham!
Too Funky!
Freedom 90
Careless Whisper Wham!
One More Try
Praying for Time *My personal favorite
I knew you were waiting for me (a duet with Aretha Franklin)
Heal the World
Different Corner Wham!
Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me (featuring Elton John)
I Can't make You Love Me (remake of Bonnie Raiit's song)
Jesus to a Child


No comments:

Post a Comment