Sunday, December 30, 2018

18 songs I loved in 2018!

It’s that time again. President Barack Obama and I release our favorite songs of 2018 which you have waited for with bated breath. So herethey are.


This is Me Keala Settle and also recorded by Kesha from The Greatest Showman

A few of my songs were actually released at the end of 2017, but I counted them if I caught onto them in 2018.  I wasn’t a fan of the movie, but it had some good songs. Especially this Oscar nominated one!



Mystery of Love Sufjan Stevens from Call Me by Your Name

Another Oscar nominated song, and in my opinion it should have been the winner. It was a good year for songs in movies (as you will see). 



Every Time I Hear the Song Brandi Carlile

President Obama and I have 3 of the same songs on our lists. This is the first and the next 2 will follow. I love the lyrics to this one especially where she fits in "By the way, I forgive you" 



I Like it Cardi B (featuring Bad Bunny and J Balvin). 
Another Obama favorite and the song of the summer. 



Apeshit The Carters

The final Obama share! The surprise collaboration album between Bey and Jay was mostly underwhelming with the exception of this standout. 




Havana Camila Cabello
I know it really really really was from 2017, but I am old. It takes me awhile to discover things sometimes. #shrug



Stop Me From Falling Kylie Minogue

Kylie went a little country on her Golden album this year with mixed results, but her best song was straight from her playbook which has made her an international phenomenon since the 1980s. 



Missing You Robyn

Robyn was back....finally



Perfect Duet Beyonce and Ed Sheeran

I don't like Ed Sheeran's  music to be totally honest. I am not infatuated with white boys sitting around on guitars being sensitive (except for maybe Harry Styles but for different reasons). But adding Beyonce to this song turned it from normal adult contemporary radio fare to something special. It was special enough for her to sing it on her tour without him. 




Make Me Feel Janelle Monae

The first of three strong women making strong statements in song. Janelle Monae had a great 2018! This take on Prince's style was my favorite. 



Fall in Line Christina Aguilera featuring Demi Lovato
2018 was a tough year professionally for an Xtina comeback and a tough year for Demi Lovato personally, but this song was a high point for both




Milkman The Pistol Annies

Surprisingly my only country song this year. Anyone rebellious raised in a conservative family can relate. 




Pray for Me The Weeknd and Kendrick Lamar from Black Panther

The first of four more movie songs (for 6 total). Black Panther was a cultural milestone in many ways in 2018, and this was my favorite song from the soundtrack. 



Fernando Cher from Mamma Mia Here We go Again

Sure it is a remake, but it made me rediscover Cher in a new way all over again and after all of these years I did not think that was possible. 



I'll Never Love Again Lady Gaga from A Star is Born

Speaking of rediscovering someone who I didn't think I could possibly rediscover again! Sure Shallow is the magical part of the movie but this is the one you are going to be hearing at karaoke for years to come. 



Alfie's Song (Not So Typical Love Song) Bleachers from Love, Simon

An underrated cultural milestone was the "normal" teen same sex relationship in the movie Love, Simon and this not so typical love song. 



Nothing Breaks Like a Heart Mark Ronson featuring Miley Cyrus

This was a surprise Christmas gift to Miley Cyrus fans, and I hope it is an indicator of things to come. 



This is America Childish Gambino

Music is often only an audio experience but I dare you to listen to this song and not imagine the video (if you have seen it, and if you have not take care of that!). This is America was the most relevant and true song of the year.  Below is the link because the original video is the one that needs to be seen. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYOjWnS4cMY

















No comments:

Post a Comment