Saturday, December 5, 2015

Grading Adele 25: Track by Emotive Track

i thought about doing this when 25 came out since there was/is so much hype around it, but Entertainment weekly beat me to it.  I wanted to let the songs marinate a couple weeks so I could be as objective as possible.   I also want to put out that I am a fan of Adele, but I a not insane about her like some people. However, I'm certainly not an Adele hater.  So here we go.

1. Hello- You know it's a really nice song, but I'm probably never going to understand why it's as big as it is.  It is certainly lyrically strong while kind of so so musically.  I think it just came out at the right moment and set fire (to the rain)

Hello B+

2. Send my Love (To Your New Lover)- I like the jazzy bluesy turn that this album has taken, but my biggest complaint is how ballad heavy it is.  Rolling in the Deep is one of Adele's classics and there is very little up tempo like it  on this album.  Send Your Love is basically it and while it is no Rolling in the Deep, I like the different almost Calypso direction it goes.

Send My Love (To Your New Lover) B+

3.  I Miss You- Despite the drumbeats, this one is the perfect example of my one big complaint about this album.   There are a couple too many interchangeable ballads.   For me this is the least notable track on the album.

I miss you- C+

4.  When We Were Young- before you call me a hater, I will tell you I love this, and I hope I see many a torch song singer perform it at cabarets for years to come.  I also like that it gets away from the traditional verse-chorus hook pop song structure.  It deserves to be a classic.

When We Were Young A

5.  Remedy- Another ballad, but it's one of the better one in the album.  I like the piano on the track.

Remedy B+

6.  Water Under the Bridge- I can appreciate the little necessary pep in the step to this one, but it is tough one for me because I have a hard time with songs that have a cliche as their title.  It is a good song though.

Water Under the Bridge. B

7.  River Lea- I like the verses and the organ in this song, but I find the chorus repetitive and underwhelming.

River Lea B

8.  Love in the Dark- for me it is another interchangeable ballad that isn't particularly special.  It's fine.  I just feel like I've heard it before.  On this album.

Love in the Dark B-

9.  Million Years Ago- "He's a hater", you say.   I scoff.  I love this one.  In fact it's my favorite track on the album.  I love the bluesy sung in a divey cantina feel.  I love that Adele sings all of our regrets so we don't have to.  It probably won't be a hit track on the album.  Too bad.  It's perfect

Million Years Ago A+

10.  All I Ask- if there was just one more When We Were Young or Million Years ago on this album it would probably be my favorite album of the year.  But alas another interchangeable ballad.  Albeit a good one.  I like the Dionne Warwick feel at the end of the chorus.

All I Ask- B+

11.  Sweetest Devotion- it definitely feels like an end of the album track.  I would have liked the album to go out with a bang.   This doesn't quite accomplish that.  B-

Overall 25 is a good maybe great album that doesn't quite live up to the hype.  But what could?

25- If there was a great between B+ and B, I would give it that, but since there is not I give it a B+

No comments:

Post a Comment