Sunday, December 20, 2015

While the world went loco over Star Wars, here are some movie I saw.

Here are a few movies I saw recently in theaters and at home.

Creed- I must admit when I saw that Michael B Jordan was following up his Fantastic Four flop with a Rocky sequel, I thought a promising Hollywood career was about to end before it really got started. Then the reviews came in for Creed, and they were exceedingly positive, so I had to see for myself.  They were correct. Creed is the sequel (and yes it is a sequel) that the original Rocky  deserved.  My eyes glaze over for most sports movies, and Creed is good because it has more story than boxing matches.  Michael B. Jordan does a great job carrying the torch, but Sylvester Stallone is really the one here that gives the really special performance here.  The one time student becomes the teacher here and gives a heart filled performance with depth as he shows us world weary Rocky facing his mortality.  It may not happen, but I hope Stallone is up for an Oscar this year! I also want this to be the end of the Rocky series as Creed is the comeback kid of a film series that became a joke. Alas I'm sure Hollywood won't let the series go out on this note.  

Creed 9 out of 10

The connection: it's basically a French version of the French connection with Academy Award winning Jean Dujardin in the lead.  It was also pretty boring, long and not particularly interesting.  I struggled to get through the last half.

The Connection 4 out of 10


Tangerine- Tangerine was filmed on an iPhone, but it is more than that gimmick.   It shows the Hollywood world through the eyes of two transgender women  trying to survive.  The glossy Hollywood scene is not here, and the film does a good job showing a world that any tourist could easily walk into, and not actually really even notice these people.  It's at times incredibly funny, but also amazingly sad.  I didn't think the acting was as great as some did, but Tangerine is definitely a movie I enjoyed.

Tangerine 7 out of 10

Ricki and the Flash- There was a good story here to be told and all the actors are game.  Unfortunately, too much of the story time is given to Meryl Streep and Rick Springfield performing Lady Gaga covers.  Both give nice performances when not just singing. As does the amazing Audra MacDonald in an underwritten supporting role.   The movie itself is underwritten.  Not enough time is given to Ricki's relationship with her family.  What could've been a great movie is merely decent.  

Ricki and the Flash 6 out of 10

Dope- in many ways Dope is just a entertaining 1980s styled sex comedy or John Hughes film starring a primarily African American cast.   What I liked about it though is how it turned many stereotypes on its head.  The lead character is a 90s hip hop loving nerd trying to get into college who has a hard time escaping his neighborhood.  How often do we see that kind of black character in film? Not often enough

Dope 7 out of 10

The Final Girls- I liked the idea of teenagers being pulled into the world of a 1980s slasher flick.  It has a bit too much of a Cabin in the Woods feel to me as it often heads into the absurd. However, a lot of laughs are to be had at the way it satirizes 1980s slasher movie.  The filmmakers are clearly making fun of something they love.

The Final Girls 6 out of 10.

No comments:

Post a Comment