Monday, December 21, 2015

Mr. Holmes and the Case of the Actors Who Should Have Oscars.

Sir Ian McKellan is an actor I wish had an Oscar.  In fact I'd have given him two.     He was absolutely robbed for the film Gods and Monsters, and his Gandalf made this non fantasy loving guy love Lord of the Rings.  As he gets older his chances dwindle, but when I hard about Mr.  Holmes with him playing an elderly Sherlock Holmes, being directed by Gods and Monsters Bill Condom and co starring another relatively deserving Oscarless actor, Laura Linney, I thought there might be hope. But it is not to be.  Sir Ian McKellan is wonderful in the film, but it has all of the dramatic tension of a lesser episode of Downton Abbey.   It is too slight to even be considered for any any major nominations.  So again, I begin to give up hope  that Sir Ian will get an Oscar.  

That had me thinking about other deserving actors who have been nominated  but have never won. Here  are a few living actors who have been the bridesmaids but never the bride.


Glenn Close:
Should have an Oscar for: Dangerous Liaisons

My favorite female actors is also One of Oscar's biggest losers.  She has been nominated six times and honestly should have probably only won for Dangerous Liaisons and possibly Fatal Attraction (but I won't lie I was cheering for Cher that year).   Since movie roles are harder to find as actresses age unless they are name Meryl, she may have to wait until her inevitable honorary Oscar.

Johnny Depp
Should  have won an Oscar for: Edward  Scissorhands, a role he didn't receive a nomination for.

Johnny Depp has been nominated three times, and though he didn't win I would've been Ok  with a win for two of those three although he wouldn't have been my personal choice.  He probably won't ever win because quite frankly he could not care less.

Amy Adams
Should've won for: Junebug, her first nomination.

I've actually grown less enamored with Amy Adams roles since she has  continued to receive 5 nominations.   She does best at comedy mixed with drama and hopefully one day she will win for a deserved role.

Sigourney Weaver-
Should've won for: Being deliciously evil as Catherine in Working Girl.

 Another winless  actress after three nominations  whose time has maybe passed is Sigourney Weaver.  She had a great shot the year she was nominated for Workung Girl and Gorillas in the Mist  in the same year but it was not to be.  She has not been nominated since.

Leonardo Dicaprio
Should've won for: What's Earing Gilbert Grape and Django Unchained

Leonardo has been nominated 5 times.   This year  may be it.   I have not seen the The Revenant yet, but I will know soon if he deserves this seemingly inevitable Oscar or if it is a makeup career award.

oh and my grade for Mr. Holmes is 6 out of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment