Wednesday, March 30, 2016

The best sandwich I ever had

Let me take a pause from reviewing movies, pop culture, and politics for something really important. Yesterday on my vacation to Seattle, I had the best sandwich I've ever eaten.  

Salumi is just a barely noticeable sliver in a not too prominent building in Seattle's Pioneer Square.   It is owned by celebrity Chef Mario Batali's father Armandino Batali.  It's open four days a week for very short hours, but yesterday eating a sandwich there was life changing.  I  lived in Seattle 16 years before I moved to Boston and never went to Salumi.  If I had gone there I maybe would've never left Seattle.  Ok that's a lie.  The sandwich was really good though. 

Around lunch time,  Salumi is known for having long lines every day it is open.  I arrived at about 1:00, and the line was slightly out the door.   It took me about 30 minutes to get to order.  It was worth it.  I ordered a hot  sandwich called Porchetta. I almost changed my order because the sign  for the Porchetta said that they do not recommend cheese.   Since for me cheese is life, and I want to respect the chef's vision, I almost ordered something else.  That would've been a mistake.  

There is very little seating inside, so I opted to find a place outside on an unusually sunny Seattle afternoon.   From the first bite, I was in heaven and knew they were correct to not add cheese to this perfect sandwich.  

Essentially Porchetta is pork butt that has been rendered and braised in its own delicious fat with Italian spices, carrots, fennel, grilled onions and peppers on a fresh baguette.  My description cannit do it justice.   But trust me after you take one bite and the fatty spiced pork juice starts dripping out, you also will be sold (unless you're vegetarian then Salumi is definitely not for you).  

I only ate half of it and this morning I had the second half.  After heating it up only slightly to not dry out the fantastic bread, I can tell you that this sandwich was just as good on the second day. 

I also ordered a pork meatball on the side which was outstanding.  I will most definitely go to Salumi again.  It's hard to imagine ordering anything besides the Porchetta, but I may also order some of their delicious fresh made cheese and cured meat to go as well. 

If you are visiting Seattle, make Salumi one of your top priority lunch destinations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment