Wednesday, August 5, 2015

Boys (and Anne Hathaway) go to Jupiter to get more stupider: Interstellar

I know I'm a bit behind on my movie watching here! But Interstellar??   What the hell was that?

There are just a few directors who can bring me to their movies with name alone.  Christopher Nolan is one of them.  Or maybe I need to rethink that.  All of his movies have been great or at least interesting until now.  Inception was my favorite film of 2010.  But his most recent movie Interstellar gives me pause.

Apparently Hollywood is on the Christopher Nolan train also.  A lot of big movie stars and Topher Grace were drinking the Nolanesque flavored Kool Aid as well by starring in this film   Mr.  Nolan seems to be falling for his own hype.  That can be the only reason a movie like Interstellar can exist.

He had me for the first hour.  A story about a daughter devastated by her astronaut father leaving her to go to space could be a good movie, no? Then  after the hunky father played by Matthew McConaughey actually goes to space, the film kind of fell  apart for me.  Probably the Dr. Who watchers of the world couldn't get enough of all the talk of wormholes, tesseracts and black holes. As for me, sorry I almost fell asleep from boredom typing  that last sentence.  Along
with all the science fiction jibberish, the rest of the film is a bunch of explosions, some deaths and then Ellen Burstyn tries to save the day. Tries is the key word.

Visually I also expected more.  Now granted I watched this on my big screen TV at home and not at the theatre, but after Gravity, I kind of expect more visually from a film that takes up a lot of its time in outer space.  I'm sure it was not, but Interstellar just looked kind  of cheap.

I suppose every great filmmaker gets a self flagellating movie or two on their IMDB page, hopefully this will be Christopher Nolan's only one for awhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment