Thursday, August 27, 2015

To Market

When I lived in Seattle, my favorite place to go was hands down  the Pike Place Market. While it attracted lots of tourists, it never felt touristy.  I think what I like most about it as that it revealed a lot about Seattle. It shows off the cities resources as well as its quirks.  From the fish throwing vendors to the orca whale arts and crafts, you can really start to get insight into what Seattle is about--the personality of Seattle.

Most major cities in Europe have similar open air markets and they to reveal a lot about the cities personality.  I have learned a lot about the European cities I have been to by browsing through their open air markets. Each city has the essentials like produce, but every city has its own unique wares for sell.

In Amsterdam, boxes of tulip bulbs are sold everywhere in the market, several stands also sell a traditional Dutch blue and white inexpensive china pattern as well.  This time was my second visit to Amsterdam, and I noticed a newer trend at their markets.   There were many places with kits showing  how to grow marijauna.  Seeds included.  :)

Munich had lots of  heart shaped  crafts and baked goods. They also sold multiple flavor of  Schnapps.   I bought a couple bottles of the schnapps and I have to say it was definitely not the same Schnapps I was trying to get my hands on when I was in high school!


Here in Vienna, where I am about to end my stay, I've especially loved the open market called Nachtmarkt.  I've roamed through it several times. I have found traditional Viemnese cakes along with cheese stuffed olives, nuts, and lots of spices.  The spices alone make the experience different because they create an amazing smell throughout the market.   For a lunch snack I picked a fried pita like bread stuffed with feta and spinach.  It made a delicious snack! I also picked up 100 grams of vanilla caramels which I've been snacking on in my hotel room!

So if you're in a new city and you don't know where to start. Find out if they have an open air market and if they do go visit.  You can find out a lot about the culture of a new city!

No comments:

Post a Comment