Monday, August 24, 2015

Travel: You'll Never Get It Right!

I didn't do a lot of sight seeing today.  I gave myself recovery time for jet lag. I do this on every long trip.  Five years ago I used the first day to do a bus tour and a boat tour of Amsterdam.  I know these tours are cheesy, but I got to sit instead of walk around, and it gave me ideas on what to do for the rest of my trip.  Good tip! Thanks Marian!

But today I didn't do that because I've been to Amsterdam before. I felt a little more prepared this time around even though I'm only staying in Amsterdam a couple of days.  It made my first day which is usually my hardest day less challenging.

Most people who travel to a different country want to get it right.  Many good travelers research the differences  in culture of the country they are going so they don't commit any cultural faux pas.  If this doesn't cross your mind as a traveler, then may I suggest that you never leave your house. 😝

But here is the thing.  No matter how much you research and  no matter how hard you try, at some point probably very early on in your vacation you are going to mess it up.  You'll never totally get it right.

So my suggestion is embrace that you're going to make little mistakes. Take a breath and relax.  Stand at a restaurant with a clueless look on your face and wait for a hostess to seat you and have the greeter wonder why you won't sit down (unless of course that's not the case because it depends on the type of restaurants. ) In my first 12 hours in Europe I probably made at least a half a dozen little mistakes, and this is my 5th time here! Just don't be an asshole about it.  Be kind and say lots of pleases and thank yous.   The citizens of the country you go to will likely not negatively remember little mistakes you made, but they will remember if you acted like an asshole.

Off to Germany tomorrow!

Dan

No comments:

Post a Comment